March SOAP: Rules or Relationship?
1. SCRIPTURES: Col 2:16-23
- Some in the Church of Colossae had been promoting to preserve the observance of ceremonial laws and insisting on practices of worship that would deem to lead to holiness
- These practices dilute the reality of the work of Christ and the indwelling transforming power of the Holy Spirit
- They promoted self-righteousness that is regulated based on rules/laws and self effort
- They distracted the focus on developing a relationship with Christ that is based on His righteousness
- Paul taught that these strict devotion to rules/law may seem wise but in reality a life without the Spirit of Christ has no conquering power over sin and temptations
- To please God is to walk not in the path of sin
- To do that is to focus on building that relationship with Christ and having the faith in Him that it's His Spirit that has the power to overcome the temptations in life
-Lord, let me not inherit the 'wrong' brand of holiness but the true substance that is produced through a deep relationship with You. Amen!